6/5/24

I worked for two years as an assistant to a photographer who had a regular client in the cannabis industry. It was the largest cannabis farm in Western Canada maybe North America? One million square feet of grow I was once told. The farm was maybe ten kilometres away from the suburb I grew-up in where I first learned about / developed a lifestyle around smoking pot everyday. On a few occasions I can recall the photographer expressing his belief to me on our drives back to the city that he thought that cannabis culture was dead. It was hard to deny that it had become a corporate thing like anything else. Outside of its image, the whole market was overinflated from the beginning. When Pot was legalized in Canada people in the liquor industry poured millions into quick developments despite not having real concrete statistical data about the real size of the market. Now that over-investment is starting to show and these cannabis companies are scaling down in different ways. I stopped working on cannabis photoshoots not because I was part of that adjustment because I got a job as a photo tech at a university. It was fun and strange nonetheless. I liked the uniform: evergreen coloured pants and long-sleeved button up shirt which you would put overtop of your clothes. To top it off shoe covers, hair and beard nets. 







No comments:

Post a Comment